I didn’t get picked in the H1B lottery, what other ways can I get a U.S. Green Card?

November 8, 2021

The most common ways to get a U.S. Green Card outside of the H1B lottery are the following:

Family Sponsorship:

You can be eligible to apply as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen if you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, the unmarried child under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen, or a parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old. You may also be eligible to apply as the fiancée of a U.S. citizen or the fiancée’s child, widow or widower of a U.S. citizen abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, abused child (unmarried and under 21 years old) of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or abused parent of a U.S. citizen. However, the wait for green cards through a family sponsorship range anywhere from 3 years to 10+ years.

Refugee or Asylee:

An immigrant can also obtain a green card as an asylee if they were granted asylum status at least 1 year ago. A refugee can do the same if they were admitted as a refugee at least 1 year ago. However, this can take anywhere between several months to several years.


An immigrant also can obtain a green card through an EB3 Unskilled Visa application. An EB3 Unskilled Visa is an application to fulfill a job that is currently experiencing a labor shortage in the United States market. This process can take anywhere between 1 and 3 years. BDV Solutions offers this service to its clients because it provides the applicant with a faster route that ensures job stability and lawful permanent residency.

Get all the information you need

  • News & Updates
  • Visual guides on the EB-3 visa process and journey
  • FAQ's and Terminology
Check out Resources